Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Smooth Moves

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves. Rated E for Everyone.

I find it odd that I haven't really done any Wii games, but I suppose it's because the system is new and the controls could be confusing to anyone who hasn't played the game before. But then I thought it was ridiculous to consider that. So, here it is: one of the best games to get for the Wii.

Wario had a game like this for the Nintendo DS (a wonderful system to those of you who don't know). It's the same effect, and I've said that the Wii is kind of like a Wii, except with more benefits, but the DS has two small screens, whereas this is fantastic to play with friends and family.

The beginning starts out with Wario's food being stolen by some weird creature. He chases the guy down to a place where he finds the Wiimote and... we go immediately into a mini game session.

I guess what I find the most amusing part of the game is the parts where you learn the different "positions" for the Wiimote to be placed into; it's not that it makes it fantastically fun and intense, but it's the way they pronounce it. I'm not sure if you guys have ever heard of Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy, but it's shown to us a lot like those used to be shown on SNL. The first we learn is The Remote; you hold the Wiimote like a remote to do the next game, which is usually something easy, like shaving the hair off of someone's cheek--you have to do it in a certain amount of time, and on other games, there are usually some restrictions.

There's also The Umbrella, The Waiter and, my favorite, The Samurai. The purpose of each of these are the explanations of how to hold the Wiimote (though it normall has nothing to do with the actual name). Such as, while doing The Big Cheese (commemorating the CEO), a mini game to go with it could be Hula Hooping. The Umbrella pose could have you playing Mario, bouncing the Wiimote to have him get the coins within the blocks.

As the game continues within those mini games, it gets quicker and quicker, causing an intensity and tension I'd never thought possible for a "kids game." I did get rather frustrated at times when I didn't understand what the game wanted me to do, but each mini game gives you four tries to finish the "section."

As for multiplayer, the cool thing is that you only need one Wiimote--when it's the other players turn, you just switch the controller around. At first, I thought it was rather dumb, especially considering Nintendo has been giving huge warnings as about Wii straps. As it is, I think that, in general, people should just realize that, with all video games, if one doesn't take care, then problems will arise. I haven't had one problem with my own Wii-ing experience. Yet, I suppose behind every rule/caution/warning, there is a name.

Up to twelve people can play this game. Twelve. Can you imagine? I could get my entire family/friends at Christmas to play this game at once, and we'd all be engaged and laughing as we went.

I suppose the only harsh realties of the game itself is that it does, indeed, take some time to get used to. As I said before, I was confused at times as to what the game wanted me to do. Also, it's a good idea to make sure one is far away from the sensor because the Wiimote will be doing a lot of moving around, with the mini games and passing of the Wiimote. Make sure to point the Wiimote at the sensor bar.

Also, the graphics aren't exactly anything amazing. I don't mind, because I'm more about gameplay/storyline, but for those of you who want to drool at graphics like while looking at Final Fantasy XIII or Halo 3, this is more like... well, a cartoon.

As it is, I can't stop raving about the game. It's fun, hilarious and more random than any game I've played yet. And I highly recommend this for showing off the Wii's capabilities and wanting someone to buy the system. The children will love it, as will anyone else. I give this a full hearty fingers of a yeti up.

No comments: